Our Making A Difference (M.A.D. Monarchs) are beginning an exciting new venture; “The Gathering Place – a mindful garden and outdoor learning space”. Mindful gardens can be combined with outdoor learning spaces to create new environments for students. They can serve all uses a classroom would serve and reconnect students with the natural world and the true source of their food. The Gathering Place will embrace the “way of being” which underlies Feed All Four. The development of these spaces teaches students valuable gardening and agriculture concepts and skills that integrate with several subjects, such as math, science, art, health and physical education, and social studies, as well as several educational goals, including personal and social responsibility.
The design brief for this project encompasses the following:
- A teaching circle and a variety of table and seating configurations to support individual, group and class learning needs
- Outdoor chalk/white board to share learning experiences
- Mindful areas including active movement and quiet places
- Flexible garden spaces – for a variety of purposes
- Natural features (trees, shrubs, greenery, rock and log structures)
- Fitness and balance elements
The following photographs are all ideas we would like to consider. They have been taken from the internet and we would like to thank Royal Roads Public School from Thames Valley DSB for posting them helping inspire us.
But we need your help! Teachers are in the process of applying for grants, however, we know there is going to be a significant shortfall. We are looking for members of the Mariposa community who could help out with any of the following items.
- Site Preparation Grading & excavation
- Stone Seating: Armor Stones
- Learning tables: log seating & irregularly shape granite counter top remnants
- Mature Trees
- Shrubs – Lilacs, Spirea, etc.
- Mulch ground cover,
- Small Greenhouse, 6ft x 8ft
- Outdoor Chalk Board: Water-proof plywood, Chalkboard Paint, hardware
- Raised Planting Beds Lumber & hardware
- Soil For Raised Planting beds and shrubs
- Plant materials – seeds, flowers, etc.
- Labour volunteers and in-kind
- Consulting Landscape plan, design & engineering
If you can help out in any way please contact Mrs. Skrabek or Mrs. Tindale